Here’s my (thirty-first) monthly but brief update about the activities I’ve done in the F/L/OSS world.
There’s a bunch of things I did this month but mostly non-technical, now that DC22 is around the corner. Here are the things I did:
- Helped Andrius w/ FTBFS for php-text-captcha, reported via #977403.
- I fixed the samed in Ubuntu a couple of months ago and they copied over the patch here.
- Volunteering for DC22 Content team.
- Leading the Bursary team w/ Paulo.
- Answering a bunch of questions of referees and attendees around bursary.
- Being an AM for Arun Kumar, process #1024.
- Mentoring for newcomers.
- Moderation of -project mailing list.
I mostly worked on different things, I guess.
I was too lazy to maintain a list of things I worked on so there’s no concrete list atm. Maybe I’ll get back to this section later or will start to list stuff from the fall, as I was doing before. :D
Debian Long Term Support (LTS) is a project to extend the lifetime of all Debian stable releases to (at least) 5 years. Debian LTS is not handled by the Debian security team, but by a separate group of volunteers and companies interested in making it a success.
And Debian Extended LTS (ELTS) is its sister project, extending support to the Jessie release (+2 years after LTS support).
This was my thirty-first month as a Debian LTS and twentieth month as a Debian ELTS paid contributor.
I worked for 23.25 hours for LTS and 20.00 hours for ELTS.
LTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:
- Issued DLA 2976-1, fixing CVE-2022-1271, for gzip.
For Debian 9 stretch, these problems have been fixed in version 1.6-5+deb9u1.
- Issued DLA 2977-1, fixing CVE-2022-1271, for xz-utils.
For Debian 9 stretch, these problems have been fixed in version 5.2.2-1.2+deb9u1.
- Working on src:tiff and src:mbedtls to fix the issues, still waiting for more issues to be reported, though.
- Looking at src:mutt CVEs. Haven’t had the time to complete but shall roll out next month.
ELTS CVE Fixes and Announcements:
- Issued ELA 593-1, fixing CVE-2022-1271, for gzip.
For Debian 8 jessie, these problems have been fixed in version 1.6-4+deb8u1.
- Issued ELA 594-1, fixing CVE-2022-1271, for xz-utils.
For Debian 8 jessie, these problems have been fixed in version 5.1.1alpha+20120614-2+deb8u1.
- Issued ELA 598-1, fixing CVE-2019-16935, CVE-2021-3177, and CVE-2021-4189, for python2.7.
For Debian 8 jessie, these problems have been fixed in version 2.7.9-2-ds1-1+deb8u9.
- Working on src:tiff and src:beep to fix the issues, still waiting for more issues to be reported for src:tiff and src:beep is a bit of a PITA, though. :)
Other (E)LTS Work:
- Triaged gzip, xz-utils, tiff, beep, python2.7, python-django, and libgit2,
- Signed up to be a Freexian Collaborator! \o/
- Read through some bits around that.
- Helped and assisted new contributors joining Freexian.
- Answered questions (& discussions) on IRC (#debian-lts and #debian-elts).
- General and other discussions on LTS private and public mailing list.
- Attended monthly Debian meeting. Held on Jitsi this month.
Debian LTS Survey
I’ve spent 18 hours on the LTS survey on the following bits:
- Rolled out the announcement. Started the survey.
- Answered a bunch of queries, people asked via e-mail.
- Looked at another bunch of tickets: https://salsa.debian.org/freexian-team/project-funding/-/issues/23.
- Sent a reminder and fixed a few things here and there.
- Gave a status update during the meeting.
- Extended the duration of the survey.
Until next time.
:wq for today.