In early May, I got selected as a Google Summer of Code
student for Debian to work on a project which is to write a linter
(an extension to RuboCop).
This tool is mostly to help the Debian Ruby team. And that is the best part, I love working in/for/with the Ruby team!
(I’ve been an active part of the team for 19 months now :))
So, the program began on 1st June and I’ve been working since then. I log my daily updates at
The blog for the first part of phase 1 can be found here and that of second part of phase 1 can be found here.
Whilst the daily updates are available at the above site^, I’ll breakdown the important parts here:
After the, what I’d like to call, successful Phase 1, whilst using this extension on GitLab’s omnibus-gitlab repository, I discovered a bug (as reported via issue #5), which basically threw the following error:
An error occurred while Packaging/GemspecGit cop was inspecting /home/utkarsh/github/omnibus-gitlab/files/gitlab-cookbooks/gitlab/recipes/bootstrap_disable.rb.
To see the complete backtrace run rubocop -d.
…which was not good.
This bug was a false-negative and the fix turned out to be simple, which was raised via PR #6.
Since the extension was now working fine against omnibus-gitlab (which is…quite huge!), I rolled out a v0.1.1 release! 🎉
Next, I implemented the 2nd cop, fixing
require_relativecalls which map from
This was raised via a WIP PR #4.
We had our meeting where we discussed that it would rather make sense to split these cops into two parts and also, thanks to David’s elaborative comment on the situation.
With this, we decided to split the cops into two.
Then I worked on:
At this point, we hit yet another obstacle. Correctly determining the root directory of a project at runtime. This is…tricky. Not impossible (of course) but tricky.
So my “homework” was to find such a thing that does that by default.
For the next 4 days, I tried to find something that could do this bit. But unfortunately, I couldn’t.
So I wrote one myself. I wrote get_root, which solves this problem.
The only thing that one needs to take care while using
get_rootis that it has to be a
gitrepository. That’s a…trade-off.
In the next meeting, we discussed that this is a bit of an overkill.
get_rootshould’ve been written as a helper function and not as another library, which David and Antonio pointed out correctly. But it was already too late :P
I had already made a v 0.1.0 release.
(So in case you’re a Rubyist and want to find the root directory of a git repository, consider using this :P)
Besides, Antonio also pointed out that it should take another arguement as to from point from where the file is being inspected. Hm, unsure how to do that..
Meanwhile, I exported
get_rootas a helper function, David solved all the problem altogether at once via rubocop’s PR #8314.
This introduced a new (public) method
get_rootand one could now get the root directory via
RuboCop::ConfigLoader.project_root. Ain’t he amazing!? \o/
This also means, I reverted those changes altogether and tweaked my WIP PR to inculcate these changes via commit @b06a8f86.
However, the specs fail. But that doesn’t mean that the changes aren’t correct :P
They are pretty much right and working fine. To make that sure, I locally installed this library and used on other projects to make sure that it indeed is working alright, as it should! \o/
And here I am on the 15th day :)
Whilst it has been a lot of fun so far, my plate has started to almost…overflow. It seems that I’ve
got a lot of things to work on (and already things that are due!).
From my major project, college *stuff to my GSoC project, Debian (E)LTS, and a lot *more.
Thanks to Antonio for helping me out with *other things (which maps back to his sayings in Paris \o/).
Until next time.
:wq for today.